Plataforma: PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
Motor Gráfico : Gamebryo
Edad recomendada: +7
Jugadores:1-2 (Cooperativo: 2)
Formato: Bluray, DVD, Nintendo optical disc
Página Oficial: -
Portada:

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two revealed

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is currently in development for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii, producer Warren Spector has announced.
Speaking in an Associated Press interview, Spector revealed that, unlike the 2010 original, the game will be a musical with full voice acting for all characters.
"I'm such a geek about musicals," he said.
"I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."
You can also expect drop-in, drop-out co-op, with one player controlling Mickey and his paintbrush, and the other playing as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, who wields a remote control with which he can manipulate electricity.
"You can sit down at any time with a friend who is playing as Mickey, and you can take control of Oswald," explained Spector.
"If you're playing as a single player, Oswald will be there every second of the game. He's not just a multiplayer character. He's a helper, whether you're playing alone or with a friend or family member."
The other key focus for Spector and his team at developer Junction Point is the game's camera - much criticised in the original. He promised a much more user-friendly experience this time around.
"We've had a team working on the camera from literally the day we finished the first game. They'll be working on it until the day we ship the second game," he said.
"(There have been) over 1000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game."
Spector didn't reveal much detail about the sequel's plot other than that it will see Mickey return to Wasteland. Similarly, no word on a release date or on the 3DS version rumoured earlier this week.
Its Wii-only predecessor picked up a middling 6/10 back in November 2010.
"For all its big ideas, Disney Epic Mickey never quite weaves its disparate strands into a convincing whole. Its conceptual ambition is let down by merely adequate mechanics, and Mickey himself remains a rather abstract figure at the centre of it all," read Eurogamer's Epic Mickey review.

Epic Mickey 2 to Extend the Original in a Cooperative and Musical Direction
Disney has just announced the follow up to the much-overlooked Epic Mickey. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two returns us to the play mechanics of the original. This time, though, we are joined by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Walt Disney’s first cartoon character, who we get to hear for the first time ever in this game.

The game is again the brainchild of Warren Spector and Junction Point. At a time when many games are moving on from the Wii, the likes of Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis 2 seemingly biding their time until the WiiU, it’s good to hear that Epic Mickey 2 will still be on the Wii as well as coming for the first time to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is again set in an alternate world of forgotten Disney characters and theme park attractions. However, unlike the first Epic Mickey both Mickey and Oswald are partnering together. Mickey’s magical paint brush combines with Oswald’s electricity to offer new puzzles and interactions. This suggests some sort of co-operative play modes that the first game lacked.

Epic Mickey 2
Another innovation this time around is the emphasis on music. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is aiming to be the first video game musical with characters bursting into song at opportune moments. If this is more than a gimmick, it should further flesh out the creative storytelling of the first game — and with the help of Emmy award-winning composer James Dooley and lyricist Mike Himelstein it has a good chance of succeeding.

It’s a perfect time to revisit the first Epic Mickey game that offered some of the best storytelling and animation on the Wii. Although core gamers complained that it was too similar to Mario Galaxy and not as good, for families Epic Mickey is an excellent experience. We have finished the game a couple of times over, and the kids are more than a little excited at the prospect of a follow up.

Epic Mickey 2 looks scheduled to be released on 1st October and on PS3, 360 and Wii platforms. It will be interesting to see how the game takes advantage of the PlayStation Move controller’s depth perception, and whether it will be tempted to provide any Kinect controller options.

Epic Mickey 2: Warren Spector Explains the Power of Two

When Epic Mickey launched in 2010, PS3 owners could be forgiven for feeling a wee bit left out. The game was an ambitious, passionate love letter to decades of rich Disney history, casting a newly assertive Mickey Mouse in a bittersweet tale set against a backdrop of decaying Disney lore.
But sometimes patience pays off. Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is coming to PS3 this fall with extensive support for PlayStation Move, vastly improved HD graphics, and a host of much-requested improvements. I spoke with Creative Director Warren Spector to learn more about Epic Mickey 2, his work on the Deus Ex series, and his early thoughts on PS Vita. For more, listen to our full conversation on the latest episode of Official PlayStation Blogcast.

Unsurprisingly, PlayStation Move motion controls will serve as a key focus for Epic Mickey 2, though specifics remain scarce for the moment. “When we originally conceptualized the game,” Spector explained, “we wanted to give Mickey control of the stuff he’s made of — paint and ink. And when you starting talking about that, your hands start moving around like you’re holding a paint brush…gestural control is something we had to to do. And PlayStation Move is perfect for that.” Not to worry: The game will also support the DualShock controller, if that’s your bag.
Epic Mickey 2 is set to make many key advancements over its predecessor, starting with a big overhaul of the original game’s much-maligned camera system. Spector makes no bones about the camera complaints, explaining that Epic Mickey 2 is the culmination of more than 1000 changes and tweaks, resulting in a game that will never require its players to touch the manual camera controls (unless they want to).

The game also addresses another common request in the form of splitscreen cooperative multiplayer, which will enable two local players to control both Mickey Mouse and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit as they journey through an earthquake-ravaged Cartoon Wasteland. While Mickey sticks with his tried-and-true magic paintbrush and thinner, Oswald wields a remote control to zap enemies and command animatronic foes. “Things that are easy for Mickey are hard for Oswald,” Spector explained. “Working together, they can do things that neither one can do alone.” The co-op play is drop-in and drop-out, with the computer will jump in to control Oswald if a partner isn’t available.
And, in a surprising twist, Epic Mickey 2’s story will be told as a full-blown musical. “Epic Mickey 2 is the first musical comedy game in the history of videogames,” Spector gushed. “We’re honoring 80 years of Disney creativity, how could we not have songs in the game?” Spector also confirmed that the game would feature voice-over work for all its characters, addressing another major fan request from the first game.
Read on to learn more about co-op play in Epic Mickey 2, Spector’s favorite PS Vita games, and ruminations on his work with Deus Ex — including his thoughts on the Square Enix Montreal-produced Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

PlayStation.Blog: Why was co-op play an important feature for Epic Mickey 2?
Warren Spector, Creative Director, Epic Mickey 2: One of my big problems with a lot of co-op games is that they devolve into “I inflict two to four points of damage with a graphic that looks like a fireball, and you inflict two to four points of damage with a graphic that looks like a spear.” Who cares? We wanted to make sure Mickey and Oswald have completely different skill sets. Of course, they both walk and run. But Mickey has this ability to use paint and thinner to draw and erase things, where Oswald has a remote control that fires bolts of electricity. That allows Oswald to interact with and control our animatronic enemies in ways Mickey can’t.
PSB: How will Epic Mickey 2 leverage PS3’s more powerful hardware to build on its predecessor?
WS: I couldn’t be prouder of the team who worked on the first game; they pushed the limits of what that hardware could do. Our goal is to do the same with PS3. The PS3 is an incredibly powerful piece of hardware…we want to take advantage of its horsepower, so the visual effects will be over the top, the polygon counts higher, the animations smoother.

PSB: What do you think of PS Vita so far?
WS: The screen is amazing, it makes me wish I hadn’t just bought a plasma TV because now I want an OLED TV at home! It looks stunning, it’s like having a PS3 I can take with me. The dual analog sticks feel perfect…it’s a pretty swell little device.
PSB: What Vita games are you playing right now?
WS: I immediately picked up three games: Touch My Katamari, F1 2011 because I love racing games, and Rayman Origins. I hate to say it, but I can’t stop playing Rayman. It’s such a wonderful game and it looks incredible.
PSB: You were a key creator of Deus Ex, but now you work with Disney Interactive. Do you ever have a desire to return to a darker world of “sunglasses and trenchcoats”?
WS: Never say never. That’s a good question…I don’t know that I want to make a game that’s quite as serious as that anymore. I think I’m in a more lighthearted place these days, though I have plenty of ideas for epic fantasy games that I might do someday. Before I signed on with Disney, I was working on a project with film director John Woo, a modern-day ninja game with parkour movement and some intense action. I wouldn’t mind going back to that idea…but having worked at Disney for the last five years, a lot of my thoughts are about, “how would I Disney-fy that concept?”
I don’t know that I’ll go back to hardcore, serious games with guys who talk like this and carry two guns and wear sunglasses at night. I don’t know if I’ll do that again. It’s about where you are in life. At that time, I was really burned out on fantasy and sci-fi. I wanted to do a real-world role-playing game, and I was obsessed with conspiracy theories. I started working on Deus Ex in the mid-90s, when we were approaching the year 2000 when the world was supposed to end. And I thought, what if every conspiracy theory was actually true? It was just where my head was at, and now my head is in a different place. I’m a changeable guy though. Maybe next week my head will be in the a different place!

PSB: Did you play Deus Ex: Human Revolution? What did you think of it?
WS: I’ve been scrupulous in not publicly talking about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, actually, so I’m going to be a little circumspect. I’ll tell you more than I’ve told anybody else, though. I played it, and I finished it, and I thought it was really Deus Ex-y. They made a few design decisions that were different than I would have made, and I found that fascinating. Someone should write a master’s thesis or dissertation about that some day, about different approaches to the same source material in terms of game systems and gameplay. There’s an interesting story there, but that will be for another time.
I’ll tell you that I finished two games last year, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution was one of them, so let’s leave it at that.

Warren Spector: I want Epic Mickey 2 to be as emotional as Toy Story

Junction Point chief Warren Spector has started bigging up Epic Mickey 2, outlining his goal for the game. He wants it to be as emotional as Toy Story or Snow White.

The end of Toy Story 3 was one of the most emotional moments in a Disney film. We're welling up even thinking about it. So Spector clearly has set his sights high.

"What I want people to come away with is that they've experienced an emotional story that they get when they watch Snow White or Toy Story," Spector told G4.

"Players can create experience when they play that are life-affecting as any book or movie or play."

Epic Mickey 2 developed by Blitz Games on PS3 and Xbox 360

Much like the joint effort planned between Oswald and Mickey Mouse in Epic Mickey 2, it appears that developer Junction Point is getting some cooperation from another studio--Blitz Game Studios--to port the game to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

A spokesperson from Disney told Shacknews: "DEM2 is being developed much like a feature film with a different studio contributing to the development of the game. It's a full partnership between Junction Point and Blitz with one creative leadership team and one creative vision."

Junction Point is focusing on the Wii version of the game, as the first game was exclusive to that platform. Blitz Game Studios is creating the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the just-announced sequel, as it has more development experience with the other platforms.

Blitz Games will incorporate (optional) PlayStation Move controls, which should mimic how the Wii version plays. However, Kinect is not in the cards. "Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is a multiplayer action adventure game with platforming elements that require precision and control," the Disney spokesperson said. "Kinect isn't the ideal user interface for a movement-heavy game. A Kinect Epic Mickey game, set in Wasteland, is an interesting idea but it would be a completely different game."

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two 'is a musical'

Speaking to the site, legendary game designer Warren Spector revealed Epic Mickey 2 will be a fully-voiced, all-star Disney musical.
"I'm such a geek about musicals," he said. "I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."

Although he didn't reveal much about the plot, saying only that it will see Mickey returning to the first game's wasteland setting, he did provide a few nuggets about gameplay and features.

Epic Mickey 2 will include drop-in, drop-out co-op, with one player taking control of the eponymous epic mouse - who is armed with his world altering paintbrush - and the other playing as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - who has a remote control that can manipulate electricity.

"You can sit down at any time with a friend who is playing as Mickey, and you can take control of Oswald," Spector explained.

"If you're playing as a single player, Oswald will be there every second of the game. He's not just a multiplayer character. He's a helper, whether you're playing alone or with a friend or family member."

In the interview, the System shock and Deus Ex creator took a moment to reflect on the rise in popularity of Oswald the Rabbit, a long forgotten Disney character ushered into the spotlight in the first Epic Mickey.

We couldn't ask people to care about this guy they've never heard of or no one has ever seen since 1928 in a Disney film," he said.

"It was unrealistic to expect people to care in the first game, but now we know they care. We hear about it from players all the time. They really, really got into Oswald, which is hugely gratifying."

Returning to the sequel itself, Spector promised the team at Junction Point have addressed some of the major issues that plagued the first game, most prominently its dodgy camera.

"We've had a team working on the camera from literally the day we finished the first game. They'll be working on it until the day we ship the second game."

"(There have been) over 1000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game."

En Español

Epic Mickey 2 se anuncia accidentalmente. Incluirá modo cooperativo y será multiplataforma
Multiplataforma, con un estreno previsto para otoño de 2012 y con el cooperativo como principal novedad. Estos son algunos de los datos que se han podido extraer de un newsletter filtrado accidentalmente –y ya eliminado de la red- en el que se daba a conocer a Epic Mickey 2. Por supuesto, Disney no ha confirmado esta información; pero parece lo suficientemente creíble como para darle importancia.

Según lo indicado en dicho newsletter, Epic Mickey 2 se trata de una nueva aventura de acción y plataformas que estará disponible en Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 y Nintendo Wii, y en la que tendremos ocasión de encontrarnos con algunos de los personajes olvidados del universo Disney.

La aventura podrá completarse en solitario o también mediante el cooperativo local que incluirá el juego, y que permitirá al segundo usuario controlar a Oswald el Conejo Afortunado (una de las primeras creaciones de Disney) que tendrá la habilidad de volar como un helicóptero y usar la electricidad para luchar contra los enemigos y resolver algunos puzles.

En la nota también se destaca que contaremos con el poder de decisión suficiente como para modificar la historia y disfrutar de distintos finales en base a nuestras acciones.

Insistimos una vez más en que por el momento Disney no ha realizado ningún anuncio oficial al respecto, así que tendremos que esperar un poco para ver si esta información resulta ser cierta o simples rumores.

http://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-ver/123755/2-warren-spector-anunciara-un-proyecto-epico-el-27-de-marzo/

Warren Spector ha confirmado que el próximo 27 de marzo hará el anuncio de “un proyecto épico” que bien podría tratarse de Epic Mickey 2, un título del que se han rumoreado diversos detalles y que podría estar cerca de hacerse oficial.

Los últimas informaciones apuntan a que Epic Mickey 2 apostaría por algún tipo de cooperativo, juego a pantalla partida y unas plataformas de llegada de PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 e incluso Wii U.

El próximo proyecto de Warren Spector tiene alrededor de 700 personas trabajando

El desarrollo de Epic Mickey 2 es un hecho, aunque Disney Interactive y Warren Spector aún no han hecho oficial el anuncio, que podría ser una realidad el próximo 27 de marzo.

El propio Warren Spector, en una entrevista con GameIndustry, ha admitido que en su próximo videojuego trabajan alrededor de 700 personas, superando a los equipos de títulos como Modern Warfare 3 (200 trabajadores) o Resident Evil 6 (600 trabajadores).

“En Epic Mickey 1, construimos un equipo que pasó de 13 a 180 personas. Tenemos alrededor de 700 personas de todo el mundo trabajando en nuestro nuevo juego”.

El primer Epic Mickey aparecido en Wii logró vender unos 2 millones de copias entre Estados Unidos y Europa.

Epic Mickey 2 será un título multiplataforma.

Anunciado oficialmente Epic Mickey 2 para Wii, PS3 y Xbox 360

Disney Interactive acaba de anunciar oficialmente el desarrollo de Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two para Wii, Xbox 360 y PlayStation 3, una nueva aventura protagonizada por algunos de los personajes más populares de la factoría Disney que volverá a correr a cargo del creador de Deus Ex, Warren Spector.

Por lo pronto, el juego parece que mantendrá algunas de las características más destacables del original lanzado hace un tiempo en exclusiva para Wii, aunque Spector ha confirmado que esta segunda entrega dará una gran importancia a su novedosa vertiente cooperativa, y tendrá un enfoque muy cercano al de los musicales.

"Soy un fanático de los musicales", ha comentado. "Me encanta el cooperativo, pero cuando un personaje se pone a cantar, que es lo que hacen normalmente en el juego, es algo mágico".

El creativo no ha ofrecido más detalles sobre este nuevo estilo jugable, aunque sí ha remarcado que Mickey volverá al mundo del título original.

Por otro lado, sobre el cooperativo, se ha confirmado lo que veníamos adelantando desde hace meses: Mickey estará acompañado de Oswald. En este caso, el personaje más emblemático de Disney volverá a hacer uso de su pincel mágico, mientras que el conejo afortunado Oswald, tendrá un control remoto que le permitirá manipular la electricidad.

Lo más interesante es que las habilidades de ambos personajes se combinarán siempre durante toda la partida, independientemente de que se disfrute o no de la acción en cooperativo. “Si juegas solo, Oswald estará ahí cada segundo de juego. No es solo un personaje para el multijugador; es un ayudante”; ha explicado Warren Spector.

Spector no se ha olvidado tampoco de las críticas que recibió el sistema de cámaras del título original, y promete que este será uno de los aspectos que más cambios sufra en la secuela. Título que se espera llegue al mercado a lo largo del presente año, aunque todavía son muchos los detalles que quedan por concretarse.

La versión para PlayStation 3 de Epic Mickey 2 contará con soporte Move

Epic Mickey 2: El Retorno de Dos Héroes ha mostrado este mismo mediodía su primer tráiler, y sólo unas horas después sus responsables han hecho público el anuncio del que el videojuego contará con soporte Move para la versión de PlayStation 3.

"Como fan de toda la vida de Disney, trabajar con Mickey Mouse en el Epic Mickey original fue una experiencia apabullante", reveló Warren Spector, creativo tras el proyecto. "Millones de fans se enamorarán de Mickey como nuevo héroe de videojuego, y sé que experimentarán emociones similares cuando interactúen en el papel de Oswald el Conejo de la Suerte en Epic Mickey 2".

La historia del juego se desarrolla en Wasteland, un mundo paralelo repleto de personajes y atracciones de feria caído en el olvido tras 80 años de decadencia. Allí el famoso ratón de Disney deberá hacer uso de su pincel mágico para pintar o borrar partes del mundo animado. El conejo Oswald tendrá un control remoto que le permitirá controlar la electricidad.

Junction Point contará en el desarrollo de Epic Mickey 2 con la ayuda de Blitz Games

Disney Interactive ha confirmado que Epic Mickey 2: El Retorno de Dos Héroes contará con dos estudios al frente de su desarrollo, por un lado Junction Point que creará la versión de Wii y por el otro a los chicos de Blitz Games que colaborarán con las de PlayStation 3 y Xbox 360.

"Epic Mickey 2: El Retorno de Dos Héroes está siendo desarrollado como una película, con Blitz contribuyendo a la producción del juego en Xbox 360 y PlayStation 3", aseguran los vocales de la compañía. "Es una sociedad completa entre Junction Point y Blitz con un equipo creativo líder y una visión creativa".

Blitz Games Studios, recordemos, no tienen un currículum particularmente brillante hasta ahora con títulos como la mediocre adaptación de la película de Quentin Tarantino Reservoir Dogs a los videojuegos.

IMAGENES​

está en proceso :D

Última edición:

Noojit

Doctorado Honoris Causa
Colaborador
Unido
enero 27, 2008
No han tardado en surgir los rumores sobre un remake/remasterización del 1 para PS3, a ver si hay suerte y llega junto con su segunda entrega.

Altair-Creed

kratosvsares7
Unido
septiembre 18, 2007
Por fin Epic Mickey 2 para PS3,es una pena que Epic Mickey solo saliera en Wii para mi es el unico juego que me interesaba de esa consola.

Ed_Corduroy

Ed_Corduroy
Unido
abril 6, 2008
Epic mickey se merecía la alta definición! Espero que remastericen el 1 para los que no lo habéis probado en wii. Un saludo!

overlord_45

Smile Little Darling
Colaborador
Unido
septiembre 26, 2010
@mdm dijo:
@overlord_45 dijo:

Sus creadores, de hecho, desean hacer la versión para PS3.
Hay una noticia al respecto, pero no pondré el enlace ya que es de otra página y me parece que se considera SPAM.
de ps3p no? xD (o algo asi creo )

mira a ver si tiene una fuente inglesa para ponerla

Altair-Creed

kratosvsares7
Unido
septiembre 18, 2007
Con este juego mi Move va a dejar de cojer polvo,ahora me e dado cuenta que se podra usar.

overlord_45

Smile Little Darling
Colaborador
Unido
septiembre 26, 2010

Epic Mickey 2 no contará con modo cooperativo online. La secuela del exclusivo de Wii hecho por el conocido Warren Spector dispondrá de un modo coop para dos jugadores, pero no implementará soporte para poder jugar de forma online a través de PSN o Xbox Live.

Por contra, las versiones de Wii, PlayStation 3 y Xbox 360 contarán con un coop local offline a pantalla partida en el mismo televisor. Una división vertical que como reseña nuestro compañero Javi Andrés en el avance publicado hoy "no entorpece la partida, hay buena visibilidad y ello además ayuda a poder ver en cualquier momento dónde está nuestro acompañante".

overlord_45

Smile Little Darling
Colaborador
Unido
septiembre 26, 2010

Warren Spector prescribes gamers to "take a chill pill and relax" over the inclusion of musical numbers in Epic Mickey 2's cutscenes. So it's not some High School Musical nightmare?

Apparently not, at least not a mandatory one anyway - they can be skipped. Spector "had to explain things" about the songs because of the 'fear' it generated in fans and execs.

We're not going to be sitting down to a full blown Broadway performance, insists Warren Spector. The veteran designer admits it's an "experiment" to see if a musical framework can exist.

"I've been itching to talk about the game and the songs for a while," he said. "When we announced the game, I sort of threw it out there, because I'm so proud and so happy. I saw the look of fear in people's eyes. I'm like, what the heck is going on? Doesn't everybody love musicals? I realised I had to explain things."

"I look at guys like you in the audience on the press side, and similarly at Disney when I look out at execs, about 70 per cent of them are going, yeah. About 30 per cent are going, are you kidding?"

We don't interact with the songs in Epic Mickey 2 and we can skip them at anytime.

"I just want to see how people respond to the music and the songs," he said. "They're not interactive by design. Later on, I hope maybe we get to do that in some other game, sometime in the future. But I feel like I have to reassure that 30 per cent that it's okay. If you don't want to experience that part of the game you can just bypass it."

"I've seen the look on people's faces. I'm reacting to something very specific and real I've seen, not worried that there might be a specific reaction. I'm reacting to the reaction, okay? It's a change. Earlier, I didn't expect that reaction, so I was just throwing it out there. Now I feel like I have to tell people, it's okay."

"I don't think I was clear at the start it wasn't singing into a microphone or beatmatch. I should have been clear about that, and I wasn't," continued the creator of Epic Mickey and Deus Ex.

"I want everybody to just take a chill pill and relax about this. I'm not going to make you sing into a microphone. I'm not going to make you dance in front of your TV. I'm not going to make you beatmatch. This is just a fun way to honour a part of Disney's history. If you don't like that part of Disney's history, skip it."

Epic Mickey 2 releases on Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo Wii and PC this September.

overlord_45

Smile Little Darling
Colaborador
Unido
septiembre 26, 2010
Hilo actualizado con nuevos banners :D

y

Warren Spector prescribes gamers to "take a chill pill and relax" over the inclusion of musical numbers in Epic Mickey 2's cutscenes. So it's not some High School Musical nightmare?

Apparently not, at least not a mandatory one anyway - they can be skipped. Spector "had to explain things" about the songs because of the 'fear' it generated in fans and execs.

We're not going to be sitting down to a full blown Broadway performance, insists Warren Spector. The veteran designer admits it's an "experiment" to see if a musical framework can exist.

"I've been itching to talk about the game and the songs for a while," he said. "When we announced the game, I sort of threw it out there, because I'm so proud and so happy. I saw the look of fear in people's eyes. I'm like, what the heck is going on? Doesn't everybody love musicals? I realised I had to explain things."

"I look at guys like you in the audience on the press side, and similarly at Disney when I look out at execs, about 70 per cent of them are going, yeah. About 30 per cent are going, are you kidding?"

We don't interact with the songs in Epic Mickey 2 and we can skip them at anytime.

"I just want to see how people respond to the music and the songs," he said. "They're not interactive by design. Later on, I hope maybe we get to do that in some other game, sometime in the future. But I feel like I have to reassure that 30 per cent that it's okay. If you don't want to experience that part of the game you can just bypass it."

"I've seen the look on people's faces. I'm reacting to something very specific and real I've seen, not worried that there might be a specific reaction. I'm reacting to the reaction, okay? It's a change. Earlier, I didn't expect that reaction, so I was just throwing it out there. Now I feel like I have to tell people, it's okay."

"I don't think I was clear at the start it wasn't singing into a microphone or beatmatch. I should have been clear about that, and I wasn't," continued the creator of Epic Mickey and Deus Ex.

"I want everybody to just take a chill pill and relax about this. I'm not going to make you sing into a microphone. I'm not going to make you dance in front of your TV. I'm not going to make you beatmatch. This is just a fun way to honour a part of Disney's history. If you don't like that part of Disney's history, skip it."

Epic Mickey 2 releases on Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo Wii and PC this September.

overlord_45

Smile Little Darling
Colaborador
Unido
septiembre 26, 2010
'Epic Mickey 2' interview: Warren Spector on making a musical sequel

Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two is an interesting follow-up, adding some standard additions worthy of any sequel - co-operative play, more platforms, camera fixes - as well as a few more ambiguous and potentially powerful features, from musical elements to permanent choice-driven gameplay.

We chat to veteran designer Warren Spector, best known for his work on System Shock and Deus Ex, at the game's London preview event about what all these things could mean for the game.

In the press presentation you talked about that fans wanted another Epic Mickey, but I don't think you really disclosed why you wanted to make another Epic Mickey. Can you discuss why you wanted another one?
"I assume every game developer has a process they go through when they start a new project, and mine involves a couple of things. One is [that] there are seven questions I ask myself and if I can't answer them I don't do it, and that's posted on my blog if you're curious. But the other is, I always plan out at least three games.

"I plan out a three-game story arc, and I plan out a three-game, sort of, gameplay arc, what am I going to introduce in each game. I don't do that because I actually expect to do those games, I do it because my games take about three years to make and I need to make sure I'm willing to put in as many as ten years of my life on something.

"It's got to be a compelling enough world and compelling enough characters that I can do that. And so before we started with the first one I had four stories actually. At the high level, sort of thought out, I did this for Deus Ex too. I knew what the first three games were going to be before we started the first one.

"For example, I knew we were going to do some songs in the second game and I knew we were going to do two player co-op multiplayer, I just knew that before we started the first game. And have an idea that if we're lucky enough to do a third one what we're going to do. So I already had an idea of what's the next step, you know, before we started, so I'm always incentivised to do it.

"Also, you start going through the Disney archives and it's unbelievable. You kind of feel like the last shot of Indiana Jones: where you see all the secrets of human history laid out in front of you. The Disney archives are a lot like that, just boxes and boxes, some of which haven't been opened since 1932 or something.

"So there's a lot of incentive to explore more stuff. And the other reason, the last reason, is just Oswald himself. If I didn't do this game I don't know who would make another Oswald game and, like I said in the presentation, that guy deserves better. That little silly crazy cartoon rabbit deserves better than to be forgotten, so you've got to do right by him."

One of the most interesting features of this second game is the musical elements. You said making a musical in a game is something you've been thinking about for a long time. Why only now have you been able to do that? Is it just the right sort of project?

"You try going to a publisher and saying, 'Give me millions and millions of dollars because I want to do a musical!' You try that some time! Trust me, you get turned down a lot, okay?"

Have you tried that?
"Yeah, course I have! I've tried to make a cartoon game for decades. I could show you the cartoon game proposals I was pitching back at Origin in 1990, I mean, for crying out loud! In the game business you get typecast, I guess it's true that film makers do too. If David Fincher ever said he was going to make a musical comedy, the world would probably stop spinning on its axis or something.

"Yeah, the problem is, at least on the business side, this is a very conservative business. It's a high-risk business, so you sort of understand it, but when you talk to Disney - I work for Disney so I talk to the people I work with on the publishing side who have to decide, 'Yeah, that crazy idea Warren has is worth supporting'.

"There is some fear and trepidation, I won't deny it but there's also an understanding that the company that made The Lion King and Tangled and Mary Poppins and Snow White and Pinocchio, it's a company where songs are important.

"The Sherman Brothers, Elton John, Tim Rice, Alan Menken: Disney and song go together, so people kind of get it. It seemed like the right time to do it. Or to take the first tentative steps, let's put it that way."

You also sort of said it's a conservative approach, you're keeping it within cutscenes. What's your pie in the sky musical idea for games, what would you love to do?
"I don't want to get too specific because honestly I can't. It's not that I'm being coy about this or anything, it's that ideas have to percolate for a long time. I started thinking about the game that became Deus Ex in 1995, right? I don't know exactly how to do it.

"In my dreams, what I can tell you is I imagine a game where players are using songs in the same way that they use a virtual gun or a magic paintbrush or a remote control or a sword. I mean, there are ways to make music not... see, this is why I can't talk about it yet! There are ways we can integrate songs into the actual interaction, not have them be outside of it in cutscenes.

"If I understood it well enough, I'd do it and I'd tell you about it. But it's still stuff swirling around and the first step, what I'm hoping to get out of this is, 'How do people respond to having it there at all?' That's as far as it goes right now."

Another thing you discussed in the presentation is you make choices in this game and some of them are permanent, you can't change them. You probably can't talk specifics, but what sort of degree of permanence will these things be and how important are they?
"Pretty permanent. There are things where, okay, there might be places where if you go down a particular path, a literal path, okay, there's a door over here and a door over here, you go through that door and an enormous cartoon boulder falls and blocks the other entrance so you can never go down that other path, once you make this choice.

"That sort of thing is going to happen fairly frequently. And it's because in the last game, I don't know if you played it, in the last game, because we didn't want people to go, 'Oh my God, I just screwed up', we didn't do that. We let you erase everything on a level, get the rewards for that and then paint everything in and then get the rewards for that.

"We didn't close off too many - occasionally but - we didn't close off too many paths, we didn't remove too many rewards when you acquired other rewards and this time we're doing more of that."

Will these permanent choices be story focused or gameplay focused?
"They're a little of both, it's hard to separate the two. In terms of the overall story arc, every player's going to see the same story, right. But the player's story, which is the one that is in a lot of ways more interesting. Like, 'This happened, then this happened, then this happened'. What it's going to do is ensure that players are going to describe different things."

"Obviously I'm trying to choose my words carefully here and I am literally describing a spot in the game right this minute that I am trying not to describe, which is really fun. If you go off one way and say, 'Wasn't it cool when you went through the lava maze?' and you say that to me and I might say back to you, 'What lava maze?'.

"That's the kind of minute-to-minute story that's different. That is fundamentally more interesting, at least to me, than a conversation where you say, 'Wasn't it cool when your character jumped across that chasm and almost fell, and then you were climbing out and the Tyrannosaurus rex breathed right in your face and all you could do is shoot and hope you had enough bullets?'. And all I can do is say, 'Yeah! that was really cool!' Because at that point we've both had exactly the same experience.

"Which means we've exercised some skill in solving a puzzle but we really haven't told a story, the designer told that story, because it happened to every player. Whereas the other one is, 'How did you get through the lava maze?' and I say, 'What lava maze?' And all of a sudden your story was different from mine and you created the story.

"Especially if your path through the lava maze was, 'I erased everything there, and this happened and that happened', and somebody else who did go through the lava maze says, 'You erased everything? I painted in that wall over there and I was able to jump up on it and I didn't have to use any of my thinner at all to get through there.'

"So then all of a sudden you have different paths, different minute-to-minute gameplay and a totally unique experience. That's, I think, what gaming needs to be more about and we're doing a lot more of it in this game than we did the last time.

You've also described how there's a thousand tweaks to the camera system. Obviously there are many little things you did, but broadly, can you say what the main things you addressed were?
"Basically we've removed a lot of constraints from the camera movement. I mean that's probably the biggest one, we've just said, 'OK, you're in control of the camera when you need to be'.

"But the other thing is, camera systems are not just - I could talk about this all day - camera systems are not just technical things, they're not just a programmer writing a system, you know, 'Oh the camera is like a character and needs to be intelligent'. Camera and level design are like this, they're like married to each other.

"We were building our camera system and our levels at exactly the same time and had no idea what we were doing. It was incredible. Now we know how our camera system works, we know how our levels are built and we can build levels that don't break the camera as often. So the level design is much friendlier to our camera now than it was before, because we can do that now and we couldn't before."

There's obviously three different versions. The Wii and the PS3 ones can use pointer controls through the Move and obviously through the Wii remote, the 360 one obviously doesn't have that option. Does this mean 360 players are at any sort of disadvantage?
"Well, by the time we ship they better not be, let's put it that way. Our goal is to make sure that the standard controller works as well as the gestural controls. We're at alpha now so we're just starting to tune that but certainly the goal is they wouldn't be at any disadvantage."

Did you look at Kinect at all for that?
"Oh yeah, God, we looked at Kinect a lot. At the end of the day we decided, well mostly I decided I guess, I don't want to blame anybody else so I'll get in trouble. You know the Kinect is really cool, but when Junction Point does a Kinect game we're going to do a Kinect game.

"I looked at the games that worked for me on the Kinect and they fall into two categories. One is the performance game, where you're performing for a camera, and the other is where the developer puts you on rails and moves you through a world and you interact with a world as you are moved through it, it's more like a theme park ride actually.

"What we're doing in this game is freeform exploration. It's about you deciding where to go, when to go, how you get there. And I'm not clever enough and so far no-one on my team has been clever enough to figure out how to let you move in a freeform way using the Kinect as the main control mechanism. So we decided that it was better not to support it than to jam it in there just so we could say that we did."

You've announced a number of platforms for this game: PS3, 360, Wii, obviously PC and Mac and also there's a 3DS, but not Vita. Is that something on your road map?
"I've got a Vita and I'm doing a lot of playing on it, so as a gamer I like it a lot. It's just that no-one has approached me. I'm a developer, so it's not as if I get to say, 'Hey Disney, we're doing a Vita game'. If Disney said, 'Do a Vita game', I'd be happy to do it. It's not on the radar right this second but that could change tomorrow."

Superior